Friday, July 10, 2009

Oxford and Bath

This week has been a dream. England has been my focus to help me get through the last few months of teaching. Thank you Matt for letting me do this. You know your husband loves you a lot when he has to work all day but says, Go have fun, in England, for three weeks.

When Matt and I first got to London we hadn't slept much during what would have been our night, and then it was already morning in England so we were headed towards another full day. We rented our car, and both of us being sleep deprived and hungry for real food we got in on opposite sides and drove the two hours to the little village where Miles and Kris live, and then on to Brackley where Matt works. I thought I was going to have an anxiety attack on the way there because I couldn't think straight and I could not focus enough to figure out where we supposed to be driving half the time. And I know Matt was just as tired, but somehow, with his ambidexterity we made it, but not after driving in the opposite direction for a while on the way home. We miss our GPS.


The little town that we're in is so quaint. There are cottages scattered all throughout the countryside out here.



The first full day here Matt went to work and I went in to Oxford. Oxford is such a beautiful city. I've spent two full days there already and I plan on going back now and again because it's so nice. The history is incredible over here. I'm not used to several hundred year old buildings. And everything looks English. All of the buildings and the homes have that old English look and I love it. Everyone told me the food would be the worst, but so far what I've eaten hasn't been bad. I've been pretty selective though. They eat what they call pasties like mad here, pasties and baguette sandwiches. That's what every shop sells. They also eat a lot of weird looking sausages and lots of tea.



Kris gave me a guided tour through Oxford on her map, so I followed that around the city, and having endless amounts of time I explore to my hearts content.

Part of Christ's Church (where the Dining Hall was filmed for Harry Potter)





St. Mary's Church


The view from the tower in St. Mary's church



Yesterday I went to the amazing city of Bath. I'd never heard of it until, like many other Jane Austen fans know, I heard it in many of her works. I saw some of the places mentioned in her books or that are in the movies, like the Royal Crescent, and I even went in the Jane Austen gift shop. Matt was glad he wasn't there for that I'm sure.

The thing that everyone told us we have to try is their scones and clotted cream. They are so good! It's thick like butter and I'm sure just as healthy too.

The view from my clotted cream tea shop on the bridge


I believe that's Jane herself


The Royal Crescent. Gorgeous!
(Watch the new Persuasion)

I walked around all day, finding new streets to take, standing in awe most of the time as I turned a corner. Bath was built up and became poplular during Jane Austen's time, I love that time period, but the buildings are pretty much all the same color. I think it gives it a very unique and breath-taking look though.
Bath Abby

7 comments:

Analeis Paul said...

Nicole! You're pictures are gorgeous! I love those old buildings. It looks like you're having the time of your life!

Carolyn said...

I love it all! Keep giving lots of pictures and lots of details! Love you!

Mom and Camera said...

Love your pictures of the area. What a fun opportunity you have over there! Any chance you'll be visiting Greenwich and the National Maritime Museum? I just finished reading a book about the man who built the first chronometers (John Harrison). His chronometers (and LOTS of other great stuff) are on display there. After reading, I totally want to visit. Also, any plans to head north into Scotland?

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

Loved the pictures -- I even recognized one of the pictures from Bath from the movie. I love all the old buildings -- they have character. Love ya!

~j. said...

my clotted cream tea shop on the bridge

This is now on my wish list.

mommacragun said...

Did you taste the water in Bath? Brian did, but I wasn't brave enough.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Nicole that looks so pretty over there! I'm so jealous. Sounds like your having an awesome time. Keep posting the pictures - they are beautiful!! Miss you!