Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Joe + Helen waz ere





My dad served his mission for our church in Scotland so I grew up hearing all about it. He would speak "Scottish", show us his creepy Scottish dolls, tell us about the Heeland Coos, haggis, the Scotland countryside, I even did a report on Scotland in 5th grade. Because of this I've always wanted to go to Scotland. I know my dad has always wanted to go back as well, and he plans on it, but until then, here's what it's like today Dad.

The Scottish countryside, like I'd been told, is gorgeous! It's so green, with cows and sheep everywhere. But I don't feel the need to roll up my windows and turn off the air when I drive past these farm animals like I do in Utah; it all looks so mesmorizing in the setting of the bright green and the blue sky.


The first day we went to Edinburgh. We got there in the afternoon after some stress driving in a huge city on the left side, then walked into the city, and it was huge! I don't know what my little mind had always conjured up when I pictured Scotland as my dad described it, but I think I was expecting a little Scotish village with people walking around in kilts (although there were some of those) and speaking with their fun Scotish accents (which they did, for our entertainment).


The Edinburgh Palace

A lad.



We tried haggis to say we did.
Tasted very sausagy. To quote from So I Married an Axe Murderer--"I'm convinced that the entire Scottish diet is based on a dare."


Inside the Edinburgh Castle gates.
The Edinburgh Castle is set up on the hill lining the city.


Very large potato, or "jacket".

We had a lot of fun walking around, watching awkward street performers eat balloons, shopping, climbing a huge monument that overlooked the city, and visiting the castle. Edinburgh was great.


5 comments:

Unknown said...

It looks like you guys are having so much fun! Where did you get that super cute purse? I hope the rest of your trip goes wonderfully!

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

How about that? Someone in the family besides your dad finally made it to Scotland! You've gone back to your "roots", as you have lots of Montgomery ancestors from Scotland - although I understand that the family "castle" is no longer there. Sounds like you are having some fun adventures! Love ya! Mom

Great to see Edinburgh - it's a very beautiful city. I was there a lot since the mission home was in Edinburgh. I also spent my last month there. Love Dad

Kassi said...

I am so happy that you are posting about Scotland--this is one of the places I would love to go but probably never will. So beautiful. I have really enjoyed all the pictures from your trip!

Carolyn said...

Oh, once again, jealous. That haggis looked like intestines. Is that what it is? All I can say is, if ye can say its a bra bricked moon licked nicked, then yer all ricked ya kin. I hope you sang that to at least one scot.

Anonymous said...

Oh Nicole I'm so jealous that you are in Scotland. My dad served in Scotland too and we went back there a few years ago. It's SO pretty! Edinburgh is one of my favorite cities ever! I'm so glad you're having a good time over there!You look so cute! I miss you!