Thursday, August 20, 2009

Free money!


I'm doing it. I'm posting more about our trip to England; I was a slacker, and a procrastinator, but no more. (And if you didn't know already, we are now residents of OHIO.)

So, London was incredible, but Matt had to go back to work so I went back to touring. This is the new cottage we moved into in Brackley.

One night Matthew and I went into a small little town where I had my first English fish n' chips experience, although I hear pub style is a little different than the wrap-it-up-in-newspaper style. Notice the random combination of food.

On the way back we stopped to see an enormous manor, but it was closed to visitors, so we conveniently missed the sign that said no visitors on the path that walked through the African pride lands. Or it felt like it. There were different types of deer grazing all across this huge field, which was actually the property of this manor. It was incredible. You could walk right through them.

The next day my wonderful friend Kris took me to a couple of towns in the Cotswolds. I was told before I left that I had to go to the Cotswolds and I had to eat scones and clotted cream there. The Cotswolds are as English as it gets.

Burford

Isn't she wonderful?


Scones and clotted cream, my favorite English treat.
That, and Sticky Toffee Pudding.




Bibury

Bibury is the most famous of the Cotswold villages and it's incredible!


I went to the Stowe Landscape Gardens later in the week, which was a few miles from our cottage, by walking the whole way. It was kind of like a park that had monuments scattered all over and it was beautiful!


I spent another day in Oxford, because I love it, and went to Christ's Church.
Harry Potter anyone?

My final stop for this post is Waddesdon Manor, on top of a large hill, that I walked up with an English lady and learned about Queen Elizabeth; it's crazy to think that one person could own something this incredible. They say he didn't even live there, he just built it to host parties at. I was invited.
This was near the aviary.

Watching kids steal the English pennies from the fountain.

4 comments:

Analeis Paul said...

I'm so glad you got to go. I now feel like I have seen a little part of England:) I loved all your pictures!

Karalee Ann said...

Wow that looks like you had an amazing time!! Love the pictures! I would love to go there someday.

Carmen said...

Hey, where in Ohio are you at? Hmmm, I suppose you could email me that at carmen.hostetler{at}gmail.com if you'd rather not tell the whole world. We're in Ann Arbor, so I think you are the closest family to us at the moment.

Carolyn said...

Love it. It's just like you lived in Pride and Prejudice. Except you didn't have a bedpan. At least I don't think you did.