Tuesday, March 17, 2009

How you like them Apples?


So it's Relief Society night at church which means I can be found at the same place I was a little over a year ago before I met Nicole: eating a box of macaroni and cheese straight out of the pan I cooked it in. I've been meaning to turn 'relief society night' into 'listening to smooth jazz in a bubble bath while eating fancy cheeses night,' but seeing as how I don't have any jazz, bubble bath, or fancy cheese I fell back into my old habits rather quickly.

However, I think I should fill everyone in on our most recent adventure. On Sunday, Nicole and I returned from New York. We went lots of places. Please note, this report is filled with superlatives--I really mean all of them. Nicole took a day off, so we left on Thursday night. We took the night bus from Newport News to China town. We arrived on Friday morning at 6:30am. My friend Taylor met us in China town, then after getting lost on the subway, took a cab back to his apartment on 80th and 1st ave. Taylor and Morgan were great hosts the whole time we were there. They were very kind and took excellent care of us.

For breakfast on Friday, we went to a small diner and had great breakfast. All of the food was really good. My favorite part of the breakfast was the sausage. They were as thick as bratwursts but still really short. After breakfast, we took the subway back down to Rockafellar center where we went to the top of the Rock for a nice view of the NYC skyline. Although it was a little cool, it was a gorgeous day, and a great day to look at the city. The view was second to none. I am always astounded at how big the city actually is. On our way back to the subway, we stopped by Magnolia's. It's a bakery that is famous for cupcakes. Nicole and I had a cheesecake, which I have to say was the best I have ever had.

Nicole and I in Rockafeller Center


Amazingly good cupcakes at Magnolia's


The Empire State Building


Central Park in the middle of the city


Our friends Morgan and Taylor


Nicole and I on top of the Rock


Then, we went back to Chinatown to Canal Street. Canal street is where you buy all the cheap knock-off stuff. We saw lots of fake watches and purses. One guy tried really hard to sell me a leather belt. Although I am in need of a new belt, and I liked the one he had, it was far too small to fit around my waist. I guess by Chinese standards I'm fat.

After Canal street, we went to the Hard Rock Cafe for lunch which was very good. After lunch, we headed back to the apartment. Up next was a wonderful afternoon of grooming. Nicole and Morgan went to get a manicure, while Taylor and I went to get a shave. This was my first time getting a straight razor shave; they are fairly uncommon nowadays. It was quite the experience. At first, I will admidt, I was a little nervous. I could tell how sharp the razor was as he worked it around my face and neck. At the beginning, I just focused on not moving so he didn't slice into one of my arterys. But after a short minute, I was able to relax, and it became very pleasant. When he finished with the razor, my face was burning slightly. Instead of using a normal aftershave, they take a bottle of alchol and mist it into the air infront of your face and then blow it at you with the blow dryer. It felt incredible. It was the best shave I have ever had. I would recommend every guy get one at least once in their lives.


Nicole and Morgan with their sweet Nails

Morgan and Taylor on the subway


After our shaves and the manicures, we went and got a pizza for the evening and relaxed for a bit. The pizza was great and came from a great NY style pizza just around the corner from Taylor and Morgan's apartment. After dinner, Nicole and I went back down to Time Square to enjoy the night. It was lots of fun to be surrounded by all the lights. We didn't end up buying anything, but had a good time walking around. After we got done, we were both pretty tired, and decided to take a cab back instead of the subway.


Nicole and I in Time Square

On Saturday, we had a lazy morning. We went and got the best danishes we have ever had. Then Nicole and I went down to the temple. The Manhattan temple is small but absolutely gorgeous. It is now one of my favorites. The temple was really busy, so we were there for a little while. When we got back to the apartment, we changed than met up with Taylor and Morgan for lunch at a little Italian place that had the best Italian food I have ever eaten. Afterward we all went down to see Blue Man Group. Blue Man Group was phenomenal. It was worth every penny we paid. The theater we saw it in was small: only 12 seats wide by 3o rows with a balcony. So it meant that the performance was really interactive. It was tons of fun. On the way home, we grabbed some really good carrot cake and cannolis.


Morgan and Nicole with one of the Blue Man Group

Nicole and I with one of the Blue Man Group


On Sunday we went to church in the morning and then had a relaxing jaunt around Central park. We left from central park in a cab back to China town to catch the bus home. I have decided that I never want to be a cab driver. It seems like the most stressful job in the world as they are on the perpetual verge of smashing head long into someone or something. There are no real lanes in any of the streets, and everyone bacsically just drives where no one else is. We climed climbed off the bus exhausted and happy to be back at home. All in all it was a great trip.



Nicole and I in Central Park


Nicole at the bus station in China town ready to go home


7 comments:

Analeis Paul said...

How fun! A whole weekend in NYC! I must admit I'm a little jealous:)

Unknown said...

It looks like you guys had an awesome trip!! We are planning a trip there one day when the Navy says its okay!!! JK love the pictures

Anonymous said...

Wow! What a fun trip! Can I come next time?

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

Looks like it was a great trip and lots of fun! I didn't really realize how big Central Park was - and we've been to NY once (many years ago). Love ya!

Natalie said...

Oh what fun! I love visiting New York. I need to go back and try out these great restaurants you found. You'll have to go back again and again. There is just so much to see! Oh, and I have to agree that the Manhattan temple is amazing. What a contrast from the busy and loud city streets.

Heidi said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi said...

Nicole! I just found your blog on Annie's blog. I clicked on "The Cragun's" just to see if it might be my coworker or her family. I was way excited when I saw it was you! It looks like you are so happy and having so much fun! Yay! :)