Sunday, October 19, 2008

Update:

As Matt mentioned, it was a very crazy day last Sunday. Our neighbors are great people. We became friends the first week they moved in. Homer was home most of the time because of his health so we got to know him pretty fast. He would yell hello through the door sometimes when he'd hear Matt come home, or he'd jump outside when he'd hear us come up the steps to say hi, it scared me a couple of times because he was so quick. I was glad we were there to help her call the ambulance when he fell, but it was hard to not be able to comfort her when she was in such a state of anxiety. I wanted so bad to help her but I didn't know how, especially in the middle of it all happening, not knowing if he was going to make it. We were relieved to hear, after they were in the ambulance for a very long time, that they got a pulse. However, the next day she came over in the afternoon to tell us that he had passed away a little earlier. She's such a great lady, but she's had a really hard time this week, which is completely understandable. She's come over a few times to talk and she and I went shoe shopping today for his memorial service. I've been thinking so much this week about the blessings I receive as a member of the church and how much a part of my life it is. It's not just something I believe, or something we do once a week, but it's a part of everything I am, everything I do.

We went to his memorial service tonight and it was really nice. The pastor could have been a John Bytheway. It was different from anything I've been to before, but it was nice and the family was so good to us. We went to a dinner with them after the service and ate way too much meat and talked with our neighbor some more. Matt and I have had some really great experiences already. We've met so many good people and have learned a lot about a culture that is very different from ours.

I wanted to add a little about our trip to Yorktown! There's so much history to see out here. Matt's brother Eric and his friend took us out to take a tour of the area and learn about how different things could have turned out if everything hadn't happened like it did in Yorktown.

Matt breaking through the British defenses


I think I may be a little more British than Matt by reason of number of Hugh Grant movies watched.

I didn't get to go hunting this year, but I did get to shoot like a rebel.


Last week we forgot to mention our trip to the National Cathedral. It was so incredible. I'm somewhat ignorant on all matters political, national, etc. and I didn't know it existed, but it's definitely worth seeing. It's enormous and it has hundreds of stained glass windows, they're all different, and they were all symbolic of the life of Christ.


I keep hearing about foreign things back in Utah like cold, and snow, and winter. But we live in a magical land where it never snows. It was 75 degrees today, supposedly, even with some rain. It has gotten cooler though, so, here I sit with my blow dryer and blanket.

Oh, and I go back to work on Monday after my awesome three week break! I don't know how I'm going to handle not being able to talk people in the day anymore. I'll give another update to tell you if it goes smoother teaching after I've had a while to catch up and figure things out a little more:)

Our favorite thing to cook!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your photos..they are really nice...

Carolyn said...

I want to eat that pizza right now (except the broccoli because ever since I was pregnant with Maren even looking at cooked broccoli makes me want to hurl). Good luck in school next week. I will also miss your daytime calls. It felt like you were back in Utah. I miss you!

Bradwich said...

Good luck going back to school--sounds like a lot to handle.

Grampy and Grandma Dot said...

I missed having you here for the hunt but what a rebel gun you have found. Bet it has quite a kick! Glad you were fiendly to your neighbors and could be there at their tradgedy. It's comeforting to find good people about anywhere you live. Thanks for the pictures. Love, Dad